Big block Mopar supercharger kit, 50 state CARB legal emissions approved. Designed to bolt on to your lightly modified or stock, carburetted Dodge 440 V8 engine.
440 Mopar Supercharger Kit Summary
Ideal for factory low compression 440 Mopar engines. As such as the ones commonly found in the mid sixties to late seventies, Dodge motorhome chassis. Many mid to late seventies Dodge & Plymouth big block passenger cars, also had the low compression 440 engines installed as well.
The supplied pulley ratio that comes standard with the kit, will produce around 5 to 6 psi of boost. The kit will still work with the earlier high performance, higher compression 440 RB engines too. Less boost may be required.
Click on any image for prices and shipping options
Depending on the engine efficiency and boost levels, you will see an increase in horsepower of any where between 30 to 75+%. This will depend on a few more factors as such as cam choice, stock, ported or upgraded heads, exhaust headers used and stock or ported intake manifold used for example.
There’s potential for more gains and upgrade options, if your intent is to go drag racing for example. The kit is an easy bolt on for use with 1970 to 1974 Dodge Challenger and Plymouth Barracuda E body vehicles. Also 1968 to 1974 Dodge Charger and Plymouth Roadrunner B body vehicles too. As well as any other big block equipped vehicle.
Big Block Mopar Supercharger Kit requirements
Stock Crank Pulley. The crank pulley that is supplied with the kit must be used with the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) Dodge twin V groove crank pulley. To ensure correct supercharger belt alignment, the proper accessory drive pulley has to be used.
Fuel Pump & 4150 Carburetor Is Needed
The comprehensive supercharger system requires the installation of a high volume fuel pump. As well as a properly setup 4150 style blow through carburetor. With mechanical secondaries. The throttle arm and accelerator cable will need to be modified too. A Lokar cable kit might be considered for ease of install. The cable kit will have plenty of adjustment that may be needed.
If you’re considering using a single plane intake manifold and EFI, hood modifications will be required. The carburetor enclosure or hat supplied with the kit may need modifying as well. The kit is suitable for use with the stock dual plane intake manifold, right out of the box.
Mopar Superchargers Components
The big block Mopar supercharger kit comes with the following components:
- One Paxton Novi 1500 supercharger. This has a clockwise rotation with curved discharge.
- A 10 rib 3.47 inch diameter pulley.
- Twin billet aluminum mounting plates for stiff supercharger fitment, complete with the necessary hardware.
- Combined manual belt tensioner with twin bearing billet aluminum idler.
- Stock OEM alternator mounting location.
- Supercharger drive assembly includes: 7 inch diameter billet alloy supercharger drive pulley, anodized.
- 10 rib drive belt with correct spacer and all hardware.
- Complete supercharger oil feed assembly.
- Supercharger oil drain assembly.
- 4 inch alloy inlet ducting with silicone sleeves, with stainless steel clamps and cone-type (POD) high-flow air filter.
- 3.5 inch alloy dump pipe with silicone sleeves and stainless clamps
- Aluminum race discharge (blow off) valve with mounting and tube flange. (be sure to check which kit does not supply the pressure release valve. The discharge valve requires welding in the specified location).
- Cast alloy carb hat. (Not available with all kits). This requires a properly set up blow through 4150 Holley or Dominator carburetor.
Supercharger Installation Time
4 to 10 hours required installation time required, depending on application.
Click image for more details
Optional Supercharger Boost Components
Depending on the kit chosen, here’s a list of parts that may be needed to complete the installation. Optional crank and drive pulleys are available.
- You’ll need a properly prepped 4150 style 4 barrel carb as already discussed.
- Boost referenced hi flow fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.
- Accessory V-belts. This will depend on accessories you already have installed IE: air conditioning, power steering etc. As well as supercharger pulley diameters chosen.
- Optional supercharger pulley ratios: Contact the tech department for correct application match. 3.12 inch diameter 10 rib driven pulley. Also optional 3.33, 3.47, 3.60 inch 10 rib drive pulleys to choose from.
- 7.00 or 7.80 inch 10 rib drive (crank) pulleys. For higher octane or race fuel, contact the tech dept to discuss your plans.
- Compressor by-pass valve and flange for hi-boost applications. Choose between either Mondo or Maxflow BV57 blow off valves with aluminum weld-on flanges.
- Aftermarket ignition amplifier. This is an MSD 6AL-BTM ignition amplifier box with timing retard. (Not necessary but recommended).
Click on the image for complete kit list & price
Big Block Mopar Supercharger System Prep
I’d like to add a little advice on prepping your stock block. If you intend on using more boost with this kit, or any supercharger kit. There’s a lot of debate about just how much horsepower a factory block can handle. This does depend on a few basic factors. How much boost you want to use. Type of fuel. What the intended RPM range will be. Intended use, street or drag racing or perhaps both. Typically between 600 to 700hp seems to be the consensus.
The number one point to note is having more than enough fuel supply, and correct ignition timing. Even at low boost levels of 5 to 6 PSI. Detonation or pinging must be avoided at all costs. Never backfire or cause the engine to cough. This can be fatal.
For boost levels above the recommended 5 to 6 pounds, I’d recommend billet main caps, a crank girdle and half filling the engine block. This will help with core shift and crankshaft cap walk. Many have run and still run, more boost without these recommendations. This depends on how well the complete engine is built, and balanced.
The other alternative is buying an aftermarket engine block. Callies, the crankshaft manufacturer, now has the Mopar Performance 426 Hemi and 440 RB engine block program. At this time 10/25/2020, Hemi blocks are about ready to be shipped to dealers and customers. 440 engine blocks are soon to follow. (There is talk of a low deck ‘B’ engine block too, so stay tuned).
Bill Mitchell Products also makes their own cast iron or aluminum Hemi and 440 blocks as well. You can source the blocks from either Bill Mitchell Products, or very soon Best Machine Racing Engines. Indy Cylinder Head has their own aluminum castings too. I’ve noticed their catalogue has already listed 440 RB crate engines with cast iron blocks from Callies.
Keith Black Racing Engines also offers aluminum Hemi and RB blocks as well. So the competition and availability is starting to heat up. This is good news for big block Mopar owners and fans.
RB Chrysler Supercharger Conclusion
The Paxton/Vortech supercharger kit for RB Chrysler engines comes with an exclusive 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. As well as Vortech’s exclusive supercharger efficiency standard. Force Power parts carry a 90 day limited warranty. Unless otherwise stated, all Vortech supercharger systems are emissions legal in all 50 states in the U.S. Each supercharger is stamped with a California Air Resource Exemption Number on the ID tag.
If you intend to keep within the specified boost range, this will not hurt your stock engine. Provided all instructions have been followed with the installation and tuning of the engine. You may see improved mileage due to increased engine efficiency. If you have a heavy foot your fuel mileage will suffer.
That concludes my review on the Novi 1500 supercharger system for big block Mopar engines. For more info on purchase options, payment plans and shipping options click the link here
If you have any questions please leave a comment below. For a list of supercharger kits for all makes and models go here https://quartermileaddiction.com/supercharger-kit-for-dodge-ford-chev-bolt-on-more-power/